Friday, August 17, 2012

Too Many Things

"There's just too many things."
-Amber Waves, in a moment of clarity

For my initial years in Dealville, the sum of my possessions could be considered minimal.  This is fine, and accepted at that age.  I moved on a continuous basis, enough to annoy relatives, and ensure "set-up" bills for those shysters at each new site.  Like the Abromowitz family in the night, I'd leave cursing some aspect of the place while celebrating the glory of the next.  You can't add a lot of shit in a plan such as that, and I'd occasionally get chided for it...usually by women who weren't women but were still girls.  I haven't talked to them in years, I'm proud to say.

Now, though, I am doing adult things.  Not exotic adult things, but accepting some responsibility.  This is a life moment of which I am prepared and, in one review, possibly overdue.  There's two ways a conclusion such as that could be reached.  One is seeing someone older than you by more than a handful of years living in suspended adolescence.  It makes their social interaction incredibly awkward, even in minor situations.  It's hard not to offer unsolicited advice when you see them stumbling on life's more basic tasks, but that is a waste of your time: they're older than you.

The other conclusion is mentally still feeling young despite an advancing age...and then you meet new hires and interns and realize that, in some cases, I'm over a decade older.  Nope, not young anymore.  (This reminds me of an opportunity long ago where a girl was considered for courtship, one who was 20 or so.  For all the good that could have come with that, I soon realized that everything we'd discuss I'd gone through...7 years ago.  It was all old news...)

These adult things include receiving very thoughtful gifts from family and friends, each item chosen for the rest of our lives.  Had you visited our place, you could easily see there were some basic items that were needed to overcome the collegiate look.  There were also items that were improving life: nicer options to expand culinary attempts.  Don't think I'm ready to watch Food Network or anything, but this will (hopefully) ensure I won't burn a sunny side up egg.  These items, too, were welcome and appreciated.

Then, there are the items that I carefully mentioned to Smiley as examples of barely needed things: items that were placed on the list despite my misgivings on their use.  We now own a glassware item that can be a punch bowl, a cake stand, or covered holder of food.  It looks (and is) extremely heavy.  If you told me this was the Davis Cup and we had mistakingly received this trophy in Madrid, I'd believe you.  But it's ours now, without some discussion.

We don't need this.
No, we do.  This will be good for cakes.  Or for punch.
How much punch do you think we're going to make?!
Well, your Grandpa's rum punch recipe is in the book.  Besides, I'm going to be making a lot of cakes.
Man, this thing is heavy.  
Yeah, you have to be careful.

This is an area of the world where the sleazy measure each other by material goods.  It is a race no one can ever win.  Ask the dolt who bragged about their items years later.  They'll tell you they're "gonna get an upgrade on  _____"  Be that as it may, you might as well swing by and visit as NCAA Football season starts, because we'll have a lot of food!  Er...food on display.  I can make all natural ice cream now.  I can rinse and prepare a salad without using another tool beyond a plastic device that looks like something from the moon.  We can drink champagne from glasses that have our names etched in them with fine detail.  I appreciate all gifts, believe you me.  However, I realize now that I left "new house" off the list.  Guess that's up to me, huh?  Because I'm an adult?  Shit, I told Smiley we were gonna go out to eat, and we went to some place called "Tacomiendo."  She didn't complain at all.  Does that mean I won?  Or is it that another moment of life passed, and I was reminded that there are no rules along the way?  

"How does it feel?" they ask.  The same, I reply.  "That's good."  It is.  Life, new and exciting, rolls on.

No comments: