Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Life and times in the farmland

Work is a funny thing.

It really begets more work.  I have pivoted on this concept for many years, and have yet to find the perfect fulcrum point.  I recently entered my 15th workplace, and the thought occurred to me that in the course of my life, I have gotten a lot more done when I've been insanely busy as opposed to when I've had no job and been primarily a househusband.

I should pause to remind everyone that I do not have children... and so the job of "househusband" involves little more than making pies.

But the movement causes more movement, doesn't it?  Like trapped gas devouring oxygen, it only moves perpetually faster.  And so I find my mind getting clearer as things speed up, some sort of opposite reaction of anti-laziness.  I say this knowing full well that football season is on the horizon, and as such, goodbye weekends.

I'm not sure how it works around the world, and I've never been one to understand how other people become happy doing the things they do (that previous sentence was brought to you by Daniel Plainview), but I know that getting into, and staying knee deep in the action has always been a positive thing.  If it works out that you have to take a 3 day jaunt to Santa Barb, then tack on a wine-run during the early hours of a Monday morning, well, so be it.  If you find yourself slap-dash in Stonington, Connecticut, looking for ice cream an hour before your flight, well?  What of it?  Get in the air, get your affairs in order, and get moving.

I don't know any secrets about the best way to go about things, but maybe the secret is really that it is all subjective.  And maybe it's best to go at the speed of the mountain.  I know my life has become incredibly situational, and that's bringing more and more gold out.  As the future starts to melt into the present, and sharp edges start to soften up, it's becoming easier and easier to chase it down, so to speak.  I mean, hell, we just sloughed off to Africa-land for 2 weeks, and didn't plan so much as a ride home.  I hesitate to say it's getting old hat, but the patterns are easier to follow.

And so, action breeds action.  We move.  Stress is so incredibly temporary.  It sharpens and focuses the brain, dialing in to establish a true connection to life's miracles.  Shit, if the point of it all is to Learn How This Thing Works, then it's best to prepare yourself so that when you hear the answer, you understand the language.  And I feel like we've moved beyond the traffic now, so to speak, out into a realm where we grow more and more able to drive free and clear.  Nothing comes easy, but action always results in education.

Life has really come a long way.

No comments: