Wednesday, June 21, 2006

When you're hot...

I have no idea where the hell I got this cowboy hat, but it's been with me the whole trip. The damn thing barely fits, and I have to hold it down as I run. How the hell I ended up at a Craps table is a mystery to me. I still have no idea what to do...he gave me some dice, I kept rolling them, people kept yelling. I never moved my bet.

My initial bet has now grown 20 times its original amount. I've had enough. No one liked that answer. They treated it as an excuse. Instead of people cheering, I got groans. The cashier wasn't far from where I was, until a very large man (more tall than fat...fat doesn't intimidate me) stopped me and said "Out."

So, I do as I am told, but see that there's one last cashier cage before I exit. So, I weave between machines, and cash everything in. Good, I'm in the clear. I don't want to turn around to see if this guy is still behind me. I have no idea how to get back IN here considering I'm actually STAYING here. Whatever, I make it outside. Good lord, it's hot.

OK, this guy is still following me. We're outside. I try to play it calm, but my mind keeps telling me otherwise. Before I adjust my hat, the guy is in front of me again.

"I'm a judge." I had no idea what that had to do with anything, so I asked "In Japan?" This wasn't a good answer. "No, not in fucking Japan, wiseass." I didn't want to seem like I was trying to please him, so I said "How the hell would I know? Don't they have judges in Japan?" By this point, maybe I've confused him. He's looking blank, and not at me.

"I saw you in there. You should know that, for a piece of the action, I gamble with my life." El Alto put his hands on his hips, as if trying to mean business in the old west. "What's it going to take?"

By this point, asking him just what the fuck he meant was NOT going to work. I had to come up with a solution. "Do you like Baked Beans?"

"Whaaa? No, what does that have to--"

"Well...I guess it's off, huh?"

He pleaded. He said he wanted more information. I turned away. Now, it could have been a mistake not to see his reaction. Was he hurt? Had he turned around? Did he reach for brass knuckles - or a gun? Was he coming after me? I didn't know. I just remember counting to 100. And then running. And this god damn hat keeps coming off.

No comments: