Tuesday, October 06, 2015

Good Morning, Dave: Mon, 10/6/80

We're getting in to rough-quality Beta love here, but our feature guest is Bill Murray, so I shall do my best to share the gold.  I can't confirm this just yet, but I believe this to be Bill's first appearance on a Dave-hosted talk show.

The audience isn't letting this cancellation go without a fight:


If your audience takes the time to make a banner they'd hang at a stadium for a TV taping, I'd like to think the future is safe.  It makes Dave smile and laugh...

Monday is "bad phone call" day, where Dave will make a phone call an audience member wouldn't want to make for one reason or another.  He decides on a recent college graduate whose Father, Charles Lafurno, does not know that he's on the hook to a bank for a loan for college: $7,000.  

Dave makes the call and asks for the father.  "Uh, Dave?"  Guess this isn't a surprise.



Dave: "You knew nothing about this loan for $7,000?"
Dad: "Oh my god."

Other item just added: the loan is due TOMORROW.  Everyone but the Father laughs.

We return from commercial to Bill.


Bill: "I'm in a real ugly mood.  I've been drinking all night long.  I haven't slept, and I had a gyro at 3:30 in the morning."

Bill's ire is actually at Phil Donahue, and his popularity, lamenting that Dave has to take part-time jobs due to his own show's performance.  "I've got some information that I think and hope will damage this man's career.  I'm not sure of this, but there's a very real possibility, that Phil Donahue is seeing my Grandmother."

After the commercial, Bill concedes to take questions from the audience.  One, on a good interest rate for a home loan, is agreed on at 22%!  None of these questions are regarding the entertainment field, which makes this all the more gold.  The final question is tough, coming from Alex Jullian of Toronto.


"I'd like to know how you feel about strip mining, and what are the viable alternatives."

Bill: "It's kind of a John Anderson question."  Could we get more 1980?  As a gentle reminder, all those asking questions receive a can of Winky's Cow Paste, "The Finest Name in Cow Paste":


Dave's next guest is the author of "Sound Sleep," Dr....uh...


Dr. Regestein is still at Harvard all these years later, and is still practicing as well.  As he's covering those who suffer insomnia, he says that there's no solid number of those who drink themselves to sleep.  "Legions of people who take their nightly brandy to seek unconsciousness."  This leads to some happy responses from the audience.

The show wraps up completely on schedule, which allows Dave to thank everyone involved, and get more shots of the crowd:



No comments: