Tuesday, September 18, 2012

"Yeah it is. It's really warm."

No foolin' Stacy, it really was warm over the weekend.  Either I will never adjust my mind to the fact that "summer" in southern California now goes from July 4th to early October...or I was overly stunned by the skies.  Shit, even if you saw it on the way, nothing could prepare you for the hair dryer that hit Dealville the past week or so...

It would take a lively soul to combat this predicament, and Smiley was more than game to find alternatives.  We mistakenly thought an after-dark concert at the Hollywood Bowl would do the trick, but that was not the case.  I alerted the other Pacific Gold writer that it was, yes, 90 degrees in the dark.  This has hit your writer before, but the circumstances were only in Las Vegas.  I don't remember all of the particulars, but I was at a brisk jog, and then I climbed a fence and ran to the Hilton.  As you can surmise, that was many moons ago...all that's changed. 

So we had food and drink, all in the cooler, and we struggled to find our seats.  This was a very sedate crowd, a fact I first chalked up to people eating (I spent the first half grooving along while eating in the dark, an activity I don't suggest unless you like reading in to everything I write).  2nd half brought more of the same, and I was about to review this as one of the more mundane concerts I've ever attended...but then the fireworks appeared.

They were impressive...they were colorful...and the sparks rained down on the box seats.

I didn't see this aspect at first because I'm awed by bright colors in a steamy night sky, but Smiley pointed it out.  Let there be no doubt: with my own eyes, I saw stately folks (including a large, senior citizen woman) run madly as she batted down her hair.  As with the rest of the show, the crowd was subdued.  No one could have heard my proclamations anyway..."Holy Balls!  Those people are having their hair set on fire from...never mind.  Oh, is that is Pinot Noir?  Sure, I have a plastic cup here...hold on..." 

Saturday morning brought more of the same with, naturally, no wind whatsoever.  I ask you: how is a dealmaker supposed to monitor college football in such an environment?  I'm trying to blend the AC with cold washcloths...constant fluids, pads and pens.  My surroundings have become a literal marathon.  I will do it and fight it.

My question to you, the reader: How do you think that worked out?  You're right: I lasted only through the late afternoon...until Smiley (in a curt manner that took me by surprise) told me "we're" leaving...

In hurried moments of heat, the exhausted are prone to rash decisions. (No pun intended)  Said decisions can work out, aiding the situation...or...you can look at the decision and remind yourself "you've done it again.  You sure have, haven't you?  You were hot and you wanted a haircut to beat the heat.  And you feel good in the moment and then realize it's "too short" and "not shaggy and swanky enough" and wait."  Yes, I made that decision again.  I've wondered if I should find a barber to the stars who makes it a consistent length, each week, Tuesday Nights at 9.

A cool breeze openly mocked us on Sunday, arriving for mere moments before vanishing completely.  Normal neighborhood errands that could be accomplished at a zesty pace had to be done in the car (a typical LA thing to do).  I returned home without any get up and get.  The heat was overpowering, and plans were thrown around like a poorly made sandwich.  None of this was happening, and we were fools to continue this conversation as if action would take place.  Instead, Man's greatest wish was fulfilled, while the rest?  They tried to find a parking spot at the beach...they fought through the movie theater while people called other people and said "Oh my god, it's so hot!  Yeah, I know!  We're at the movies!" 

And so, whatever our condition as we ambled in Beverly Hills would have given "what the hell have you been up to?" stares had it not been for that everyone else was in the same frying pan.  Making due in a stove, shrugging off annoyances for a mental coooool breeze.

No comments: