Thursday, May 10, 2012

You might think I'm crazy

The first item on the conveyor belt was a box of Trix.  I wasn't trying to proclaim anything in doing so...it was simply on top of the cart.

"Is this for your kid, or is this for you?"

I wasn't expecting to be judged on my grocery purchases.  The last time that happened was a decade ago, when I was buying a 12 pack of beer and cheez balls.  The cashier said "Beer, cheez balls...what, no cigarettes?"  I responded, politely, that I don't work at a supermarket.  Was that cold?  Harsh? 

It gets worse at the drug store.  A multitude of personal items can be in your purchase, but you'd never point and laugh at some old guy for buying Depends because, possibly, that could be you one day.  My lowest drug store purchase was on a very ill night.  I was buying a plunger and Imodium AD.  I tried not get the young, cute cashier...but you know what happens...

"How's it going?"  (She then looks down at the items)
I've had better days...

Where was I?  Right.  So, I said no, the Trix are for me.  They might be for kids, but I am not a rabbit, so I may also eat them.  It is also on sale for $1.80, and I have to make that deal.

"Yeah, but it has a lot of sugar."

Excuse me, Mom.  I have no cavities.  I get excellent check-ups.  I brush after lunch - do you?  I didn't think so. I asked if there was an age limit on this cereal, as I clearly was not aware of said rules.

"When you're not a kid..."

Again, in a polite fashion, I said "Well, when I was a kid, my Ma never bought us these cereals.  She wanted us to have good teeth, right or wrong.  I am now old enough to buy my own groceries, and in some cases items I was not allowed to have as a child...the Trix, the whiskey, too much mac n' cheese.  (This week it was priced at normal levels, not overpriced)

Have I, or will I, reach an age where I am not to eat or do certain things?  Do grown-ups not enjoy cheeseburgers and milkshakes at Foster's Freeze?  I do.  Now that I'm out of my 20's, should I stop with the Friday Night Pizza Party?  I'd like to keep that going.  Too old for a granola bar for breakfast?  It might be cheap and easy (two descriptors that used to lead to GOOD THINGS in my youth)...so what?  Whole wheat flax seed fiber sticks, guaranteed to "break the bowl?"  No thanks.  Past the days where it's acceptable to blast The Germs while sitting outside?  I don't think so. 

It's who I am.  And when you live in a place like this, you blend in.  Which, after all, is why I'm here.  Keep it going...till the sun go down.


No comments: