Monday, September 12, 2011

But the Earth is all we know

A casual glance makes me seem ambivalent, doesn't it?  Shit, maybe I am, but I'm making deals somehow.  Just you see.  That might be a college football bet coming in.  It might be lunch plans with the diplomats from Paraguay.  Or, an evening at a swanky nightclub in Santa Monica, which is when I was snapped into an alternate-reality (beyond a congregation of robots) by Smiley.

Dealville surrounds me, but does not envelop anyone.  You could tell me you're visiting but lost yourself in a Ross Dress-For-Less off the freeway...and then I'd tell you to get the fuck out as fast as possible.  So in said nightclub (outdoors on the deck), when first glance is all anyone gives anyone else, I would advise to find a pocket where people have broken away and are making it happen.  Blending in?  Worry not, tell them you program "hold" music.  You run a puppy spa.  You are an accountant for bakeries.  They don't give a fuck. 

So, I had my entry key to this window of gold.  Should I behave myself differently because it's a wedding after-party and I've never met the bride and groom?  Of course not!  Dance, bullshit, keep an eye on the waitress.  Looks like the tab is still going - how polite of these aggressively drunk revelers to include me! 

Moments later, the bride was laying on the lap of Smiley and myself.  I had to be involved somehow, right?  If I didn't hold on to her waist, she would roll on to the floor.  So that was her desired position - I would never be able to live with myself to see the photographer take snapshots of her on the floor, no matter the cheerful attitude.  There is a photo, somewhere on the east coast, of us as a motley crew.  7 and 7 in hand.  Everyone's happy.

"We're visiting from Florida...I love the feel of this town."  Hell, you're on your 12th drink - if you still feel that way, I'd consider that a ringing endorsement. 

"Really?!  I grew up in Coon Rapids.  Did you know they wanted to change the name to Rapid City, but they couldn't afford the stationary, so they didn't do it."  If that isn't true, it should be.

"I'm in Silver Lake."  Wow, very hip.  "Yeah...it's..."  Maybe another line of questioning, miss?

This went on and on until we made the 2nd (3rd?) goodbye.  The glow that you get after a night of sudden fun: is it that you found gold, or is it because gold found you?  I slept 10 hours and then woke up and actually said "Oh man...what time is it?  Oh - football is on."

No comments: