Friday, July 14, 2006

You're not lookin' in a mirror, trust me

Last night's events didn't take a lot of convincing, but they took a lot of explanation. This was directed to Elvira, my spaced out but incredibly polite waitress at Nicky's Pizza in Silver Lake.

"This is a game show convention of producers, talent, and fans. This band will supposedly be playing famous songs."

She stared at me for a moment, which could have meant anything, really. "Wow, I wanna be in a band that plays at game shows." (Don't correct her, just go with flow.) "If they have openings, come back and let me know." (OK, you got it.)

An old friend arrived first to the Burbank Airport Hilton's Convention Room #4 just before I did. "This place smells like eggs." I figured it was because of a million buffets in the mornings. He agreed. Then I looked around. My friend, THESE are the true game show fans. They don't live out here. They don't work in or around TV. And yet, they've come to Burbank to play tons of games and listen to producers and meet Peter Marshall (Hollywood Squares, among others) and Wink Martindale (Tic Tac Dough, among others). It was giant guts. Constant smiles. Tucked in T-Shirts into Jean Shorts. Videotaping everything. Silence. Minimal social skills.

The first tune, a medley of Price is Right prize songs, made everyone cheer. Suddenly, a wave of guilt washed over me. Yes, I recognized every god damn song. We moved on to Tic Tac Dough, Super Password, and others...and this band played them all. Finally, I had to turned to another old friend, a rare girl in this oasis, and tell the classic Triumph joke:

"How does it feel to be surrounded by a room full of people who have no idea how to please you?"

Eventually, after a self-enforced two drink minimum, I had to hit the road. This was a bit too much. And frankly, no one likes to be shoved into one interest. Sure, I enjoy game shows, but I enjoy punk, I enjoy reading, I enjoy Columbian imports. I enjoy having lunch with Dr. Naguchi. Thankfully, the interests are spread. For those that are there this afternoon, send that giant tray of fried everything to them. They all came out here to just sit and be with each other, eat fatty foods, and make jokes that only a handful would get. This one's for you.

No comments: