Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Quit selling me a car

All right, true, I haven't bought a lot of cars in my time. I was "given" one (the price was so low it was insane), a giant beast with wood paneling that was your best friend on the road except when it snowed or rained, or it needed gas, or had to start in weather below 40 degrees. The next car, my current car, was purchased so easily considering I wanted the car, they wanted to sell it, and it's been good ever since.

But the tried and true approach of any salesman, once they kind of have you in, is to keep the positive reinforcement. Uncle Rico knew what he was talking about. "So, we're feeling good about this 24 piece set?" Rico knew that if he made it known and agreed that EVERYONE in the room (including you) already thought this was a winner, well, all we have left is the deal.

So why do I bring this up? It's that people (the same people I seem to have to interact with on a daily basis) think this works when we're talking about my time. For instance, here's a recent e mail from someone who didn't have plans with me because I was unavailable the night she was free - a fact that was already stated twice in a previous phone call.

"So, we still on for Wednesday?"

NO, Rudy Russo, we are NOT on for Wednesday. We never were. And you know this, man. So let's fucking save each other this entire scene and admit that things didn't work out, you were unable to flex...Bottom Line: You didn't get what you wanted and it pisses you off.

Do you want to take these souvenir cups home?
No, I have enough.
Why not?
I already have about 20 cups. I live alone. I have no need for other cups.
Oh. Well, I thought you'd want these. I saved them.
Well, thank you for thinking of me.
(Uh oh, backup arrives)
What's the matter?
Well, Trip doesn't want these cups.
Why not?
I have enough cups.

And on and on it goes. And it's never "Oh, Trip, we're feeling good about that bottle of Rum I was going to give you, right?" Nope. It's always shit I don't need: people who want to make their problems mine, people wanting to give me things I don't want, people not wanting to do tasks and trying to get me to do them. That shit plain doesn't work.

It'll happen again. Some yahoo will try to get me to think I've agreed to some jangle entry-level tripe. No need to play dirty, just keep the honesty. A small war broke out, one of which you caused, and you lost. Reminds me of my days covering the Falkland Islands, except you don't see me responding to the call by sending a boat that will take WEEKS to get there.

Yup, you'll have to do it. Solo. Me? Oh, I'll be wearing a judge's robe, drinking from a spiked juice box, fixing the record player again as my plans are in full swing.

No comments: